Shavonne Samuels is a mother of one from Federal Way, Washington.
Here is Shavonne's video application:
Here is Shavonne's current situation:
"I recently decided to be a stay-at-home mom after working as a Recruiter for our most loved non-profit organization in the Pacific Northwest. If you had asked me if that would be my choice on the day of my college graduation you would have gotten a resounding NO. However, being a new mom has brought such joy to my life. I enjoy all the challenges that it brings and have now reshaped my view of what individual growth and success means for me. Although I’m no longer climbing the career ladder I’m the shining star in the eyes of my baby boy!"
Here is Shavonne's blog post:
"Create Your Mommy Sunshine
As I stepped out of the airport to be greeted by my dad on that December evening my excitement quickly turned to horror. I couldn’t fathom how a place could be so cold. My brother quickly handed me a coat and said, “welcome to Oregon”! This was my initiation into becoming a Pacific North-westerner.
I also realized that for a few months out of the year the clouds consume the sky and hold the sunshine captive. During those months moms can get the WHERE IS MY SUNSHINE BLUES. Here are some ways that I’ve discovered to create my own mommy sunshine.
- TAKE A SHOWER – Get your favorite body wash and lather up that luffa! In the morning a shower is one of the easiest pick me ups for us as pacific northwest moms. When I feel down the water works with the aroma therapy of the soap to bring me glorious sunshine. This may sound too simple to be true but try it.
- GET DOLLED UP – Even if you have nowhere to go get beautified. When we look bad we feel bad, when we look good we feel good. Put on a bit of makeup and pretend that at any moment the entire Seattle Seahawks team will be knocking at your door. This will definitely bring spring in the winter!
- DANCE, DANCE, DANCE – Dance like no one’s watching. Dance kicks depression right out the door! Not to mention it’s great exercise. Get your favorite dance music and put on a show. Try to choose something that’s a bit up tempo…jazz is beautiful but I find it a bit sombering in the winter. My song of choice is “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira. Move those hips mommies!
- LAUGH UNTIL YOUR TUMMY HURTS – Laughter is such great medicine. Put on your favorite comedy clip or play a game of hide – and – seek with your family. My family and I get a kick out of watching each other play the Wii Fit Soccer! Lol.. Before you know it you’ll forget all about those blues.
- GIVE BACK – When you feel down the best thing to do is help someone else. You can volunteer a bit of your time to the service oriented organization of your choice. 10 times out of 10 you’ll feel better and you and your family will reap the amazing rewards that serving brings.
Have fun bringing in the sunshine....
The Verity Mom Team